Federation of Ontario Cottagers' Associations updates provided by John Campbell, MPOA FOCA Representative:
MPOA is a member of the Federation of Ontario Cottagers’ Associations (FOCA). This umbrella group represents the interests of all cottage associations, particularly on issues of Province-wide concern. What you may be less familiar with is the wealth of useful information to be found on their website, https://foca.on.ca/
Many of the articles are pertinent to the individual cottage owner. Examples include:
- Welcome to Cottage Country,
- COVID – 19 Updates from FOCA,
- Electricity Pricing,
- Emergency response in remote areas,
- Lake Partners Program,
- Owner’s Guide to Healthy Waterfronts,
- Invasive Species – Overview,
- Responsible Cottage Rental,
- Boating Safety,
- Cottage roads.
As an MPOA member you are also entitled to received the FOCA Elert (Newsletter) directly. Sign up here: https://foca.on.ca/news/elerts/ . If there are issues of a Province-wide nature think should be addressed, by FOCA let us know so we can forward your suggestion on.
November 18, 2021
We have included a couple of key statements from a recent FOCA Elert. To get the full detail from the FOCA website, click on this link: https://foca.on.ca/electricity-pricing/
- The Ontario Energy Board (OEB) approves Hydro One’s proposed 10-year phase in of this change beginning January 1, 2023. This approach is intended to limit the total bill increase for affected seasonal customers, including those with low average monthly consumption, to 10% (maximum) per year.
- FOCA is concerned about the unrelenting increases in electrical costs for our community. In addition to electricity costs, rural homeowners already shoulder 90% of the property tax burden in some rural municipalities! Waterfront property owners represent a significant proportion of many rural communities, and support local economic activity through their taxes, local purchases, volunteerism and other forms of community leadership.
November 16, 2021
The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have released sobering listing of 11 years of boat fatality statistics, noting that 86% of those who died over that time period were NOT wearing lifejackets. Find a link for information on boat safety on FOCA's home page: https://foca.on.ca/safe-boating/
August 8, 2021
Please have a look at this Special Release about a new campaign called #WakeAware. Something to think about for next summers boating. https://www.bewakeaware.com/
June 22, 2021
FOCA Annual Report
FOCA ‘s latest annual report, 2020 Year in Review is posted on their website https://foca.on.ca/2020-year-in-review/.